The ancient parish of Cartmel was extensive; it included Grange and places west to the River Leven, the southern part of Lake Windermere, east to the River Winster, and south to the shore of Morecambe Bay – about 40 miles round.
The railway arrived in 1857, and Grange began to develop. The Rev Henry Robert Smith succeeded Revd Rigg and he remained for 30 years. It was he suggested that Grange should be called Grange-over-Sands to avoid confusion with Grange in Borrowdale. He lived in Slack House until the Vicarage was built in 1858.
In November 2008 the church was given a major overhaul – as the pictures below show. Scaffolding was erected, loose plaster was scraped off the walls before repainting, and the dust of tens of years was hoovered off the wooden beams!
Grange Parish Church