In the light of the changes in the way we handle our finances these days, we have been exploring various ways of giving to Church. With fewer and fewer people actually carrying cash, with the banks charging us to use cheques, and with many of us now banking on-line, the ‘times they are a-changing’! Many of us have now chosen to make annual or monthly on-line direct bank transfers for our regular giving, but what about the individuals, often visitors, who would like to make a one-off donation using their smart phones? The PCC has now decided that the simplest – and cheapest – method is to use the Diocesan Giving Portal with our own QR code which leads to an electronic form where names, addresses and card numbers can be entered. There is also an option to gift aid the donation. In making this decision, we are following most of the other churches in the peninsula.
How the Diocesan Giving Portal works
Pages have been set up by the Diocese, and any monies donated through these pages will go directly through to Carlisle Diocese. Where appropriate, gift aid is collected on our behalf, and on a quarterly basis the total value of donations plus gift aid is sent through to us. The QR code (see below) is now available for display in our pews, on pewsheets, orders of service, on the web site, etc, and a card of explanation will soon be appearing in each of the pews showing this code and how to use it with a mobile phone.
- Open the camera app on the phone.
- Point phone at the QR code.
- Get the QR code in the viewfinder box. Wait a few seconds until a pop-up banner appears.
- Tap pop-up banner or the QR icon which appears. You are then ready to go.
- If the pop-up banner does not appear make sure that the QR code is wholly inside the viewfinder. If the banner still does not appear check that the QR reader is enabled on the phone. Go to the settings app and scroll down and tap camera. Make sure that the slider for scan QR codes is in the right position. Then go to 4 as above.